Living with Hearing Aids
Wearing hearing aids that fit your lifestyle.
Today’s hearing aids come in many different styles and have a wide variety of features, but all hearing aids have certain characteristics in common.
How hearing aids work.
Hearing aids selectively increase sound volume. They make soft sounds more audible and easier to understand, while keeping moderate or loud sounds at comfortable listening levels. This helps hearing in both noisy and quiet situations. While no hearing aid can solve every hearing problem or restore normal hearing, today’s hearing aids effectively adjust to your environment, so you can hear sounds and understand speech much better.
Today’s hearing aids are sophisticated tiny digital sound systems.
A hearing aid is basically a miniature amplification system that contains the following components:
- Amplifier (most now use digital signal processing)
- Miniature speaker (receiver)
- On/off switch
- Program/function switch (in most digital hearing aids)
- In-the-ear hearing aids have either a custom-formed earmold made from acrylic or silicon, or an individual shell
- Behind-the-ear hearing aids come in their own plastic casing (some have exchangeable shells)